While this is a private server intended for a closed group of friends, it's important to establish some ground rules for how we interact with the Fediverse at large. This is adapted from the code of conduct of https://icosahedron.website, partially because that's an instance that the server admin (@QuietMisdreavus) has previously used, and also because it's easy to read and interpret.
- The internet is a network that connects people using computers. The other endpoint is a human being with an inner life just as complex as your own. Act accordingly.
- Consider the reach of the posts you make. Tag content that you expect others might not want to see.
- Harassment and bullying of any kind are not tolerated here. Do not engage with a user if they do not want you to. Do not ask other users to, either.
Don’t start shit.
- Do not make posts just to get angry reactions.
- “I was being ironic” is an extremely flimsy excuse for behaving badly.
- Do not drag unrelated people into a discussion.
Obey the law.
- Specifically, United States (server+admin location) law.
- No illegal file sharing, no illegal pornography, no publication of personal protected information, you know the drill.
- While things like holocaust denial and Nazi symbolism aren't directly against US law, they're also not allowed on this server.
Spam is not allowed.
- Bots that interact with a user without a users explicit request are not allowed.
- Automated or excessive advertising is not allowed.
Be aware of the nature of the network.
- This website is part of a network of similar websites. Other websites may have different rules.
- The local administration has little control over users of other websites. You can, however, block and mute them - same as local users.
- In egregious cases, remote users or entire groups of users may be blocked from interacting with users of this website.
Fascism is incompatible with a free exchange of ideas.
- When you endorse racism, exclusion and the structural and physical violence that come with it, you show yourself to not be interested in any sort of dialogue.
- Those who work towards a society based on chauvinism and nationalism rather than peaceful coexistance are not welcome here.
Admin decisions are final.
- The interpretation of these rules is up to the administration and an admins decision overrides the rules.
- “Technically I did not violate any rule” is an extremely flimsy excuse for behaving badly.
- The rules may be changed or amended when necessary.
These goal of these rules is to ensure a safe and welcoming environment.
- Rule enforcement is guided by this goal.
- Any enforcement action will generally be kept between those involved.
- Try to self-moderate, but do not hesitate to involve an admin when necessary.
- There is presently one person with administrative access to the website, @QuietMisdreavus.
- You can report rule violations via the report function, or via e-mail.
To keep the timeline smooth for everyone, here are some recommended CWs to use. This is not an
exclusive list; it's just a quick reference to give the idea of what kinds of content should be
- Politics (country/state/local; this also includes certain kinds of activism)
- Animated GIFs
- References to abuse
- References to racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc
- Nudity/Sexually suggestive content
Server notices will be posted on @email@example.com's account. This will announce things like
downtimes for upgrades, backups, etc. Ideally, i'd like to install updates to the server system
regularly, but regardless, i'll post there when i need to take the server down or if i have things
to say to the server at large.